Saturday, February 14, 2009

Fermaid-K

I use Fermaid-K as initial and mid-fermentation nutrient mix for pretty much all fermentations. To use it, I add it directly to my five-gallon fermentation pails in two steps (following my initial rehydration of the yeast with Go-Ferm:

1) the day after I inoculate with yeast, I add a heaping one-half teaspoon (approx 2.5 grams) of Fermaid-K directly to the pail of juice or must, stirring well.

2) about 1/3 of the way through fermentation (time depends on yeast, grapes and temperature - usually a couple days to one-week), I add a second heaping one-half teaspoon (approx 2.5 grams) of Fermaid-K again to the pail, stirring well.

With the combined treatment of Go-Ferm for rehydration of the yeast, and Fermaid-K in split additions during the fermentation, I have not encountered HS2 problems in any of my fermentations, despite experiments with a wide range of musts, juices and yeasts, with widely varying YANC (Yeast Assimilable Nitrogen Content) levels.

No comments:

Post a Comment